Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Government Shutdown

I am not a particularly political person. I don't necessarily vote a straight party ticket but I am somewhat conservative.

I expect, however, for those entrusted with law-making powers to do their job. I expect them to read proposed laws before voting on them. I expect them to balance the checkbook (since it's got my money in it) and make wise spending choices. I expect the leader - or the used-to-be-leader - of the free world to not tantrum.

Whatever happened to common sense?

Maybe this government has never had any sense. We've been warned as far back as the third president that power corrupts. And yet, like lemmings, we've followed whoever had the most charisma into the abyss.

This shutdown is impacting people I know. It may well impact my family before the month is out. My mother, my son, and my daughter may not be getting the money they qualify for under Social Security if this thing goes on much longer. My husband is on the Ice this month and may be staying weeks longer to ensure he isn't forcibly furloughed (and unpaid since he only works for a government contractor but not the government).

Elections will be coming up again soon. I think every single elected official at the National level needs to be replaced. If it's an incumbent, let him/her experience permanent furlough.

No comments:

Post a Comment